COVID-19 Booster Vaccine Dose information
As of October 21, 2021
The CDC has endorsed the ACIP’s recommendation for a booster shot of COVID-19 vaccine in certain populations. A booster shot is now available for all three COVID-19 vaccines (Moderna, J&J and Pfizer — although at this time OCAHS offers just Moderna and J&J) with the following criteria:
- The use of a single booster dose of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine that may be administered at least 6 months after completion of the primary series to individuals:
- 65 years of age and older
- 18 through 64 years of age at high risk of severe COVID-19
- 18 through 64 years of age with frequent institutional or occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2
- The use of a single booster dose of the Janssen (Johnson and Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine may be administered at least 2 months after completion of the single-dose primary regimen to individuals 18 years of age and older.
- The use of each of the available COVID-19 vaccines as a heterologous (or “mix and match”) booster dose in eligible individuals following completion of primary vaccination with a different available COVID-19 vaccine.
- To clarify that a single booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine may be administered at least 6 months after completion of the primary series to individuals 18 through 64 years of age with frequent institutional or occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2.
Orange City Area Health System offers Moderna and J&J vaccine boosters. To schedule a vaccination please call our Orange City Family Medicine Clinic at 712-737-2000.
Skilled. Safe. Essential.
Hospitals, health systems, and clinics are a safe place to seek care, no matter your health need. Since well before the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic, the safety of our patients is and always has been our first priority. Orange City Area Health System safely manages infectious diseases every day. We will continue to provide safe, effective, patient-centered care in all our facilities. First and foremost, we are following the guidance and direction of our public health experts, closely monitoring and adopting new findings and following clinical protocols developed by expert scientists and clinicians in every discipline of care.
With so much attention focused on COVID-19, it’s easy to forget about other health issues such as cancer or heart disease, but they are still around. The good news is that with screening, in many cases, you can prevent them or catch problems early so that treatment is more effective. Preventive measures such as mammograms, Pap tests, colonoscopies, and other tests and screenings are essential to good health. And, just as important: If you are experiencing any symptoms or signs of illness, don’t wait. Call your health care provider and let them help.
Pediatric checkups and well-child visits are also essential: Keeping your children healthy and up-to-date on their vaccines is not something that should be delayed.
Click here for recent updates regarding testing options and locations.
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please call our clinic at 712-737-2000 for an appointment to be tested.
For those wishing to be tested for TRAVEL purposes, as of November 8, 2021 Orange City Area Health System offers four options. Appointments need to be made by calling Occupational Health at 712-737-5273 for options 1, 2, and 4. The Test Iowa kit is available at our ER desk and main campus clinic reception desk.
TEST OPTION #1 – Rapid NAAT test (cousin to PCR) for $100 — results in about 60 minutes.
TEST OPTION #2 – PCR for $130 — results in 24-72 hours.
TEST OPTION #3 – Test Iowa saliva PCR kit FREE (can pick up at the reception desks in ER or the Orange City Family Medicine Clinic). Patient sends directly to the Iowa Hygienic Lab.
TEST OPTION #4 – Rapid Antigen Test $35
Payment will be required at the time of testing. Results will drop directly in the patient chart if they have MyChart. If they don’t have MyChart, Occupational Health will use encrypted email to send the results to the patient.