Have you ever wondered if you would be a good candidate for sclerotherapy or venous ablations? Do you currently experience any of the following?
• Spider veins
• Varicose veins
• Leg aching
• Leg heaviness
• Leg fatigue
• Ankle/leg swelling
• Itching and burning
• Muscle cramps (“charlie horses”)
• Restless legs
• Skin discoloration
• Leg ulcerations
Orange City Area Health System’s General Surgery Clinic, in our Orange City Family Medicine Clinic, offers cutting-edge, mimimally-invasive treatments and patient care. Close to home.
Please contact our general surgery office at (712)737-5317 for your free consultation.
Venous ablations: your timeline to treatment
- Free Vein Screening Visit– This free visit will be to determine if you have a medical vein issue or a cosmetic vein issue. Our team of experienced general surgeons offers venous ablations and sclerotherapy services in office for cosmetic (cash pay services) and medical purposes.
- Imaging– Following your free screening visit, our team of experienced general surgeons may order ultrasound imaging to determine if venous ablation therapy is medically necessary.
- Formal Vein Consultation– This visit will be billed to your insurance company and is necessary for insurance purposes to prove that your procedure is medically necessary. One of our experienced general surgeons will review your results and discuss potential treatment options with you. At this visit, you will also be given a prescription for compression stockings.
- Compression Stocking Trial Period– Most insurance companies require patients to trial compression stockings for up to 90 days. This is another method your insurance company has to ensure that your veinous issue is medical and not cosmetic.
- Follow Up Visit– Please bring your compression stockings with you to this visit. This visit will be billed to your insurance company and is necessary to demonstrate that the compression stockings did not fix your veinous issue. This visit is required before scheduling your venous procedure. Repeat ultrasound imaging will be completed at this visit and submitted to your insurance company.
- Scheduling Your Procedure– After you have completed your follow up visit and one of our general surgeons has indicated you have a medical reason to indicate you should have a venous ablation, our nursing team will schedule your venous treatment. Please note, our office has to get authorization/approval from your insurance company prior to the Venous Ablation procedure being performed. Authorization is a necessary step to obtain your insurance approval if you are not paying out of pocket. It is your responsibility to determine your deductible/co-insurance.
7. Venous Ablation Treatment– If our surgeon has indicated that you will be having this procedure on both legs, please be aware that the procedures will be completed on different days. This is a requirement from your insurance company and is best practice. After this procedure, you will need to wear your compression stockings for an additional 2 weeks. You will not need a driver to and from this procedure. Lifting and other restrictions will be further discussed with you during and prior to your procedure. Your next treatment will typically be a month or 30 days after your initial treatment to give your treated leg time to heal.
8. Follow Up Visit– This visit will be billed to your insurance company. Our team of experienced surgeons will assess the effectiveness of treatment and if applicable discuss scheduling your next procedure (your other leg- if applicable).
Sclerotherapy: your treatment pathway
- Free Vein Screening Visit- This free visit will be to determine if you have a medical vein issue or a cosmetic vein issue. Our team of experienced general surgeons offers sclerotherapy services in office as a cash pay service only. At this visit, you may also be given a prescription for compression stockings.
- Imaging– Following your free screening visit, our team of experienced general surgeons may order ultrasound imaging to determine if venous ablation therapy is medically necessary or if sclerotherapy services would best suite your needs.
- Formal Vein Consultation– If ultrasound imaging was ordered, one of our experienced general surgeons will review your results and discuss potential treatment options with you.
- Prepayment for Services– Prepayment for this service is due prior to your procedure and will be collected by a member of our billing/admission team prior to your procedure. Failure to pay prior to your procedure will result in cancellation.
6. Sclerotherapy Treatment– If our surgeon has indicated you will be having this procedure on both legs, please be aware that the procedures will typically be completed on different days. This method of treatment involves injecting a medication to treat smaller veins that the laser/venous ablations could not treat. This may involve multiple injections and possibly multiple appointments to complete treatment. Please bring your stockings with you to your treatment. You will need to wear your stockings for a minimum of 3 days although they are recommended for 2 weeks following this therapy. Please note the treatment interval for your sclerotherapy sessions will be individualized. In general sessions are scheduled at a 1-month, 3-month, and 6-month after Venous Ablation Treatment. It is important to remember that it took years to create your dilated and tortuous varicose veins and it will take months (or perhaps up to a year) to effectively treat your varicose veins. Be patient with the treatment process and remember you can help the process by following the instructions/recommendations of your surgeon.