Prairie Ridge Care Center
Resident-centered care. A place to call home.
A major accomplishment for Orange City Area Health System in 2013 was the continued development and preparation for transition into the new senior care facility, Prairie Ridge Care Center.
One of the driving factors of Prairie Ridge Care Center is resident-centered care. The facility is no longer a nursing home. It is a home – a place for individuals to live and thrive. By having residents more involved in their own care, we create more of a home environment. Research clearly indicates this prolongs and enhances life for our residents.
Prairie Ridge replaces our two previous nursing home facilities, Long Term Care and Heritage House Nursing Home.
While continuing to provide housing for 83 seniors, Prairie Ridge Care Center has many new exciting and special features for the residents.
- In our previous nursing home facilities, the majority of our residents shared rest rooms, sometimes with three other residents. We are very proud to say that at Prairie Ridge Care Center, all 83 rooms are private with their own private bath and shower.
- For the first time ever, Orange City and the surrounding communities have a memory unit available. Sunrise Cottage is a memory unit. This requires special staffing and training for our staff. We are so pleased that residents who spend many years of their lives with us but develop memory issues will no longer have to leave Orange City.
- One of the driving factors of Prairie Ridge Care Center is resident-centered care. Leadership and staff have spent many hours and much education on the concept of resident-driven care. The concept is simple: the facility is no longer a nursing home; it is a home, a place for individuals to live and thrive not go to die. By having the residents more involved and more directing of their own care, we create more of a home environment. Research clearly indicates this prolongs and enhances life for our residents.
- Two major programming objectives at Prairie Ridge Care Center are as simple as eating when you want and bathing when you want. In the traditional model of a nursing home, those two things alone would represent tremendous challenges.
- There are many amenities and activities available for our residents, including an indoor park. Again, part of a new direction in senior care is towards resident-centered care. The park is “brought” to those residents who are unable to leave the facility. Prairie Ridge Care Center has a fireplace with a large stone mantel similar to a shelter house, indoor plants including trees, a water feature, and an aquarium with native species.
- The memory unit has its own large aquarium.
- All cottages have a patio/indoor garden area for sitting on the porch, enjoying the view, or going for a short walk.
- There are many other enhancements and features that make Prairie Ridge Care Center special. The Village Center has a feature representing each of the six main communities we serve: Orange City, the Courthouse; Alton, St. Mary’s Church; Granville, Vosburg Field; Hospers, the statue; Paullina, shelter house at Mill Creek Park; and Maurice, the slide in the town park. Presenting these 6 communities not only gives a sense of pride for our residents, but also helps memory retention and creates a nice place for people to visit.
- Other amenities meant to attract families to come visit their loved ones include the Sidewalk Café complete with a pergola, the Treat Shoppe offering free beverages and treats, large Village Center dining facility, family rooms in each cottage, two dining rooms and living rooms in each cottage, a spa, sunrooms, resident laundry, and much more.
Licensed nurses are on duty around the clock, attending to the medical concerns of each resident as detailed in individual care plans. Certified Nurse Assistants provide for each resident’s personal care needs. Restorative therapy aides carry out the directives of a licensed physical therapist, and the Activity department plans and provides large group, small group and individual social events.
Other staff in the nursing home — social services, dietary staff, hosts and hostesses, and housekeeping staff — all serve together to make life for each resident as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
For more information on Prairie Ridge Care Center or nursing home care, contact our Prairie Ridge Administrator at 712-707-6006.